Cool Links for Everyone
- Polar Science and Engineering: Drilling Back Through Time - The mysterious "18Ka" event prompted scientists and engineers, working together, to develop new "replicate coring" techniques. Listen to their story as they drilled back in time to decipher if volcanic actions played a role in the end of the last ice age.
- How Ice Core Drills Work - Join us in the cold room as engineers describe the operation of the blue ice drill during its initial test. This video showcases a typical double barrel coring design with glimpses of its action, normally hidden beneath the ice's surface.
- Ice Core Processing: Discovering Earth's Climate History - Hear the sounds, see the tools and listen to real people who are working at sub-zero temperatures as they prepare samples of Antarctic ice cores for research labs across the country.
- Deploying to Antarctica - Watch this short clip, to see how scientists travel to Antarctica.
- Byrd Surface Camp - Want to see what it's like to work at an Antarctic field site such as Byrd Camp or WAIS Divide? Check out the videos at this site to become prepared for your future trip!
- West Antarctic Ice Sheet Project Video: "How Do We Know?" - This video includes a tour around the camp, discusses the process by which ice cores are drilled and extracted from the ice sheet, and explains the importance of ice cores in the overall understanding of Earth's climate history and current climate change.
- POLAR-PALOOZA multimedia showcases polar researchers, drillers and Alaskan natives through video and audio podcasts, and more.
- POLAR-PALOOZA Podcasts, Blogs and Vlogs
- Rap Video: Take Aim at Climate Change
- NASA: Impacts of a Warming Climate
- NASA: LIMA McMurdo Flying Tour
- NASA: Frozen Earth Video
- Science 360 The Knowledge Network, WAIS Divide Video Series
Ancient Ice and Our Planet's Future, Life on the Ice, Modeling Our Planet's Future